+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks

What causes that shelf on the beach?

Yesterday there was a "shelf" on the beach, like a big wall that was caused by the waves. What causes that?

Thanks
    I've read before that it has something to do with beach erosion and rising sea levels. Storms off the coast seem to the big cause.

Thanks
    It only happens every few months but I saw the one yesterday and it was worse than most.

Thanks
    I've lived on both coasts and in several different locations and have seen them everywhere.

Administrator
    Thanks

Explanation on the beach erosion

We had a user that provided a great explanation of what you were seeing. Also for those who don't know what we are talking about I've included a picture.

"The beach feature you are referring to is called an escarpment or "scarp". I have typically seen this occur on beaches that have been renourished recently. You may also see beach scarps form after large wave events such as Nor'easter's, Tropical Storms or Hurricanes."

Click image for larger version

Name:	erosion.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	255

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Myrtle Talk For This Useful Post:

aroundwego (03-22-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Myrtle Talk View Post
    We had a user that provided a great explanation of what you were seeing. Also for those who don't know what we are talking about I've included a picture.

"The beach feature you are referring to is called an escarpment or "scarp". I have typically seen this occur on beaches that have been renourished recently. You may also see beach scarps form after large wave events such as Nor'easter's, Tropical Storms or Hurricanes."

Attachment 255

Thanks for the explanation. It's something many people are talking about. Most of the beach looks better but some areas haven't improved at all.