+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks

If you haven't tried Mykonos by Broadway you have to!!!

I was blown away by this place. Fabulous food and excellent service. We will be back every time we visit MB.

Thanks
    is this new?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HarleyForLifeSC View Post
    is this new?
    Yes they just recently opened. We hope to have a full review for you soon.

Thanks
    Our company had a private gathering there and came away extremely impressed. I believe they are still getting their footing since they recently opened for the first time but the place has class written all over it. We all agreed the food was among the best in the area and the service could not have been better.

I would highly recommend it as well.

Thanks
    And btw thanks for the site. I'm excited to read the opinions of others on our local companies.

Thanks
    Is there a menu to look at online? We hope to get there soon.

Thanks

Check out this article from last week.

Friday, Jan. 21, 2011
    An island of Greek treats

Mykonos

By Becky Billingsley -

Setting the Table
    If you squint you can still see vestiges of Bullwinkle's, but the fake Canadian Rockies have been transformed into fake Greek cliffs at Mykonos, the new restaurant/lounge at 1002 29th Ave. N. in Myrtle Beach.
    It's owned by brothers Drew Manios and Chris Manios of Club Kryptonite fame, and they transformed the cavernous 12-year-old space that was a high tech kiddie restaurant/playground into a high tech adult restaurant/playground/nightclub. The bar/nightclub is on the left and the restaurant on the right, but sometimes the bar spills over into the restaurant and then you might have a Greek dancer doing the Kalamatianos on the tabletops.
    The dining room has three distinct spaces divided by partial walls that do not extend all the way up to the high industrial-looking ceiling, which gives a trendy urban effect that works for the nightclub-that-serves-great-food image. There is a big dining room in a pit; a balcony with tables overlooking the pit; and an elevated secluded back room behind the balcony where you can hear a bit of the action in the pit.
    My friend, a professional cook named Cheri Collins who is also the new secretary of the Myrtle Beach chapter of the American Culinary Federation, and I sat in the secluded room, which is dimly lit and decorated with sepia WWII photography. The light was so soft that in order to read the menu we had to whip out flashlights we always keep in our purses for just such occasions.
    Overall the ambiance is glamorous with classic Greek accents such as pillars and grape leaves. Tables are set in white and blue linens, and when we visited there were a dozen tables seated with adult diners of all ages.
    Down the Hatch
    The chef here is Andreann Geise, who is labeled a "celebrity chef." Geise won a few recipe contests including Guy Fieri's "Ultimate Recipe Showdown" on The Food Network, but she hasn't had her own show. She was one of the presenters at the Taste! Gourmet Trade Show & Expo at the Myrtle Beach Convention Center in May.
    However, if Geise continues serving food like Collins and I were served on a recent Thursday night, she might become a celebrity chef in earnest.
    Her Moussaka - layered with thick potato slices and eggplant that melts into seasoned ground meat and is crowned by a fluffy/creamy/cheesy browned topping and has a wonderful soft smack of cinnamon - is outrageously wonderful. It beats any Greek dish I've ever eaten.
    Two hearty soup spoon salutes go to her Sausage and Kale Soup (pleasingly spicy with flavor layers in a stew-like broth) and Avgolemono Soup with perfectly cooked orzo, plump moist white meat chicken and subtle lemoniness.
    We also loved the meats we tried in our seven-course tasting dinner (which is $20 per person and worth every dime). Our Chicken Souflaki had Greek seasonings and wasn't too dry as many skewered meats can be. The Veal Marsala was also nice with its rich sweet sauce, but our favorite was the Fusion Rib eye that's rubbed with chili and topped with chopped roasted banana peppers, a drizzle of balsamic and blue cheese butter.
    Also included in our seven-course meal was an appetizer tray containing hummus, tzatziki sauce (the creamy white dressing on gyros), high quality fresh feta, Greek olives and warm pita triangles. The hummus was a bit bland, but the tzatziki is terrifically flavored with garlic, lemon and dill.
    Our salads were disappointing, though. While the glass plates they were served on were properly chilled, they were too small and our salad kept falling onto the table. I didn't care for the two dressings offered (too tangy), the salads contained only iceberg lettuce and the feta cheese on them wasn't the same high quality cheese as in the appetizer tray.
    Our fried calamari was pleasantly crispy and the portion included two thick calamari steaks, but we didn't care for the lobster sauce provided for dipping. We would have cheerfully eaten the lobster sauce as a soup - it was tasty - but it was too rich and dense to go with calamari for our tastes. We asked for some marinara instead, and then we were happy.
    Dessert was the classic sticky Greek honey/ground nut/phyllo dough sweet called Baklava, but this version underwhelmed us as it was too dry and could have benefited from more honey.
    In addition to our tasting menu we also shared an appetizer of Maraschino Clams, which is four small cooked clams topped with a veggie/cherry/cheese mixture. It was tasty, but nowhere near worth its $10 price. That's $2.50 per bite!
    Check Please
    We tried the house lager, which was good if you like light beers. Even better were the house label merlot and cabernet we tried, which our server said comes from family Greek vineyards. There's also a full bar and wine list.
    Keeping in mind what we learned on the first visit, other dishes I want to try include Dolmades (stuffed grape leaves), Spanakopita (spinach/cheese pie), the Gyro Platter and Pastichio (sort of a Greek lasagna). Most entrees are between $14 and $20.
    Mykonos is a fun party spot and swanky restaurant with some excellent Greek dishes. The servers need to learn to not hover and not bring new courses out too soon, but I'm sure they'll soon settle down. Then there's that celebrity chef thing...